Thursday, July 3, 2008

Would You Call That Color Cantaloupe?

Every year, I "join the movement” and volunteer to be “helpful” for the M.S. Society. I don’t know if I really am helpful or not, but it makes me feel better about myself knowing I’m contributing to society in at least one way, you know, since I’m still single and have no children…


Of all the M.S. Events, the M.S. 150 Best Damn Bike Tour is my favorite. Why you may ask. Honestly I ask myself that same question every year. It was originally called the best damn bike tour, because the route was over a couple damns. Now, I call it the damn bike tour because come Sunday morning at 4:30 a.m, when I wake to feed the troops, it’s the first thing I say “damn bike tour.”

There is a reason that you should always wear black spandex. Here is your explanation why:



Most of the cyclist recognize the unwritten rule and dress accordingly, but there are a few who seem to have missed the memo. Particularly the man wearing white spandex that decided to come ask me what mile the lunch stop was at…. Let’s just say that white spandex doesn’t work on a sweaty day after riding 68 miles. Its somewhat similar to a wet t-shirt contest, except with a sausage link.

After 3 years of volunteering, they have finally recognized me for what I am and put me in a position of power. As a Special Events Leader (S.E.L), I get to do all the important things, like make sure there’s enough mayo for the sandwiches and collect garbage.



One of my favorite tasks, water. Sometimes, to make things more interesting, I ask the cyclists if they want me to feel them up…



In all seriousness, it’s was a great time! Hats off to all those who rode, participated, and sponsored the event. Especially to everyone at the M.S. Society who put it together and let me volunteer yet another year.


2 comments:

Whitney said...

bott you crack me up! i always laugh so hard at that picture of why biker spandex should be black! that is so gross. thanks for volunteering!

Megs said...

I'm excited to see you on saturday. I am sad I won't make it to lunch, but you all should go to Madelines downtown ( across from the Library) sooo good.. and the cupcakes are fantastic! We'll do something crazy later to make up for it..